‘Process’ means we obtain, store, update and archive data.
- Patient data is held for the purpose of providing patients with appropriate, high quality, safe and effective dental care treatment.
- Staff employment data is held in accordance with Employment, Taxation and Pensions Law.
What is the Lawful Basis for processing Personal Data?
The Law says we must tell you this:
- We hold patient’s data because it is in our Legitimate Interest to do so. Without holding the data we cannot work effectively.
- We hold staff employment data because it is a Legal Obligation for us to do so.
- We hold contractors’ data because it is needed to Fulfil a Contract with us.
Who might we share your data with?
We can only share data if it is done securely and it is necessary to do so.
- Patient data may be shared with other healthcare professionals who need to be involved in your care for example if we refer you to a specialist, or need laboratory work undertaken. Patient data may also be stored for back-up purposes with our computer software suppliers who may also store it securely.
- Employment data will be shared with government agencies such as HMRC and accountants.
You have the right to:
- Be informed about the personal data we hold and why we hold it.
- Access a copy of your data that we hold by contacting us directly: we will acknowledge your request and supply a response within one month or sooner.
- Check the information we hold about you is correct and to make corrections if not.
- Have your data erased in certain circumstances.
- Transfer your data to someone else if you tell us to do so and it is safe and legal to do so.
- Tell us not to actively process or update your data in certain circumstances.
How long is Personal Data stored for?
- We will store patient data for as long as we are providing care, treatment or recalling patients for further care. We will archive (that is, store it without further action) for as long as is required for legal purposes as recommended by trusted experts.
- We must store employment data for six years after an employee has left.
- We must store contractors’ data for seven years after the contract is ended.
What if you are not happy or wish to raise a concern about our data processing?
You can complain in the first instance to us our data controller officer - Angela Collis, and we will do our best to resolve the matter. If all else fails, you can complain to the Information Commissioner at www.ico.org.uk/concerns or by calling 0303 123 1113.